I have so much to be thankful for every single day of my life. Days like today, remind me once again, that I am as a human, as an American, prone to forgetting that I am so blessed. The rest of this might be a heavy post, so if you want light and easy, just skip over the rest of this. But days like today have me thinking about my life & my purpose.
I was reading an article the other night and fully realized the extent to which I have such a taxing, heart moving, tough, painful, and oh so rewarding profession. To really get in touch with such deep inner pain means I must be willing to experience some of that pain, to face it and believe in the other person's capacity to handle that pain. (Garry Landreth)
I realized again today. There was a woman who I referred to residential treatment because of her extensive drug use - a woman for which I could do nothing else. I listened as she described some of the worst abuse I have ever heard. I let her cry without trying to stop her. I listened as she described how tired she has become of using every day and the wreckage and chaos her life had turned in to. I listened as she said, "I just want to be happy. To smile." I didn't try to minimize her pain, her drug use, her failings. I put away my questions and sat there, encouraging her to find a shred, an ounce, just the tiniest amount of hope she could find and hold on with her whole life. Almost a week later, today, she called to thank me for being a blessing in her life. This woman, who statistically will not make it through residential treatment and will go back to using - called me to say thank you, for taking the time to listen and just sit with her. She told me no one else listens.
I am so thankful - that I am a part of a profession that seeks meaning in their work, that experiences another human's pain and gives hope, and one that BELIEVES that the other people can handle the pain. I am thankful, that it didn't matter what theory or technique I used, it only mattered that I cared. That I showed this woman I cared.
I am blessed beyond belief.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment